Have you been caring for your teeth to help prevent cavities? Do you have any visible plaque buildup in your mouth that has turned into tartar? If you have not been caring for your teeth effectively, a slow poison for your teeth and gums may have begun to creep into the corners of your teeth. Cavities, also known as tooth decay, are caused by harmful materials in plaque that strips away your tooth enamel and exposes vulnerable parts of your teeth to damage.
Here are some easy-to-do techniques you can do to help prevent cavities:
– After meals, chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes has been shown to fight cavities.
– Avoid sticky candies, chewy snacks, or other foodstuffs that are difficult to wash away or remove from your teeth and gums.
– Floss once daily with ADA-approved dental floss or dentist recommended flossing tools.
– Mouthwash is good for rinsing away bad bacteria and food particles.
– Visit your dentist at Bel Air Smile Partners regularly for professional cleanings or oral exams.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with toothpaste that is ADA-approved or dentist recommended.
– Make sure you practice proper etiquette with your brushing tactics including how you brush and how you care for your toothbrush.
As long as you take the necessary steps to protect yourself, cavities can be prevented. If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. James Schall, please call our office at 410-939-4030. We are located in Havre de Grace, Maryland. We look forward to making your oral health care for the new year the brightest one yet.