Did you know, mouth jewelry can harm your oral health and cause permanent damage? Yes, it’s true! Your tongue is an integral part of your body and helps you talk and eat each day. If it becomes damaged, your tongue could suffer severe damage.
Our dentist, Dr. James Schall, cares about your smile. That is why, our team at Bel Air Smile Partners in Havre de Grace, Maryland, is happy to help you understand why mouth jewelry can be dangerous.
Here is a list of facts on the harmful effects of mouth jewelry:
– Nerve damage: Mouth jewelry, tongue jewelry specifically, is unsafe because your tongue is full of nerves and if not applied just right, you can damage the nerves in your tongue creating speech and even chewing problems.
– Dental damage: Mouth jewelry is hard metals or plastics and can chip and crack your teeth easily causing severe damage to your teeth.
– Choking: Because the mouth jewelry often has small parts, it becomes a choking hazard, especially while you sleep and can damage your throat, cheeks, or tongue.
– Allergies: Many people have allergic reactions to metals in their mouth because their mouth is a delicate area in their body.
– Drooling: Tongue jewelry causes an increase in saliva production which can cause excessive drooling.
– Risk of infections: Because your mouth is a moist area, it is also a breeding zone for bacteria that can stick to your mouth jewelry and cause many infections.
If you are thinking about mouth jewelry, please consider the importance of your oral health first. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you would like to talk to a professional, please call us today at 410-939-4030 to make an appointment with one of our experts. We are happy to work with you and help you.